Our Story

  • Our Story

    Origins

    At the turn of the century, the growth of Annapolis as an educational and government center spurred the need for better health care. A group of enlightened and energetic women decided Annapolis needed a hospital, and in 1902 "The Annapolis Emergency Hospital" opened in a small cottage at Franklin and Cathedral streets.

    By 1910, the hospital board and medical staff agreed they needed a larger, modern hospital to better care for the community patients.

    By 1919, we added a maternity ward to the hospital to accommodate the growing Annapolis population.

    By nearly the middle of the century, hospital admissions outnumbered accident room cases for the first time, confirming the need for expansion. In 1949, the hospital changed its name to Anne Arundel General Hospital. The name changed again in 1988 to Anne Arundel Medical Center, and plans began for major expansion.

    In 2001, Anne Arundel Medical Center consolidated its acute care services from downtown Annapolis to a new health care facility at its Medical Park campus off Jennifer Road. And in 2002, AAMC celebrated its centennial, marking 100 years as the regional hospital for Annapolis and surrounding communities.  

    In April 2011, the hospital completed its $424 million expansion project, which included a pediatric emergency room, an expanded general emergency room, 50 new patient beds, and eight new operating rooms.

    Read our current statistics.

    Timeline

    • 1902 – Annapolis Emergency Hospital opens its doors to the first patient.
    • 1910 – New hospital on Franklin Street opens.
    • 1911 – Inpatient population is 300.
    • 1919 – We establish a six-patient maternity ward.
    • 1924 – Average hospital stay is 11 days.
    • 1927 – Fire destroys the main hospital building.
    • 1930 – Inpatient population is 1,269.
    • 1944 – Hospital auxiliary is founded with several volunteers.
    • 1946 – Admissions outnumber accident room cases for the first time, with 2,705 people admitted.
    • 1949 – The hospital changes its name to Anne Arundel General Hospital.
    • 1958 – The hospital was granted full accreditation by the Joint Commission for the first time. 
    • 1960 – We open a hospital pharmacy.
    • 1964 – About 9,000 patients are admitted, with 20,000 visits to our emergency room.
    • 1966 – Coronary care unit opens.
    • 1967 – Intensive care unit opens.
    • 1973 – Prepared childbirth program starts.
    • 1974 – Average hospital stay lowers to just 6.4 days.
    • 1977 – First total hip replacement is performed.
    • 1978 – Name of the hospital association changed to Anne Arundel General Hospital, Inc.
    • 1980 – First total knee replacement is performed.
    • 1983 – The hospital pioneers an outpatient IV medication program.
    • 1983 – Anne Arundel General Hospital establishes a foundation.
    • 1984 – The hospital association purchases 104 acres of land on Jennifer Road.
    • 1985 – Anne Arundel Diagnostics Imaging opens in Annapolis and Arnold.
    • 1986 – We hire our first chaplain and open a pastoral care department.
    • 1987 – Construction begins on Medical Park buildings.
    • 1988 – The hospital changes its name to Anne Arundel Medical Center.
    • 1991 – We begin our 90th year of operation, averaging 15,965 inpatients yearly.
    • 1992 –  Pathways, our substance use and mental health facility, opens.
    • 1994 – Annapolis Outreach Center opens, providing free medical services to uninsured residents.
    • 1995 – Clatanoff Pavilion opens to provide maternity and women's health services.
    • 1996 – ASK-A-NURSE nurse advice line starts taking calls.
    • 1998 – We break ground for the new hospital.
    • 2000 – Inpatient admissions climb to 18,648 with 50,929 emergency room visits.
    • 2000 – Construction on the new hospital is completed.
    • 2001 – Sajak Pavilion opens.
    • 2001 – AAMC is named the fourth busiest hospital in the state with a record 4,399 births.
    • 2001 –  AAMC Bowie Pavilion opens.
    • 2001 – Hospital Pavilion opens and the downtown hospital closes.
    • 2002 –  AAMC Waugh Chapel Pavilion opens.
    • 2004 –  The Geaton and JoAnn DeCesaris Cancer Institute opens.
    • 2005 – AAMC is the only Maryland community hospital named in the Top 100 list by Solucient.
    • 2006 – New expanded Neonatal Intensive Care Unit opens.
    • 2007 – AAMC enters strategic alliance with Johns Hopkins Medicine.
    • 2008 –  AAMC Kent Island Pavilion opens.
    • 2009 – AAMC Belcher Pavilion opens.
    • 2010 –  AAMC Heart & Vascular Institute opens.
    • 2011 – AAMC begins offering open visiting hours as first of several patient- and family-centered initiatives.
    • 2011 – Hospital space almost doubles with a new emergency room, operating rooms, pediatrics unit, and two new patient care units.
    • 2012 – A new inpatient care unit opens, adding another 30 beds.
    • 2012 –  AAMC Odenton Pavilion opens.
    • 2013 – New simulation training facility opens, the James and Sylvia Earl SAIL Center.
    • 2013 – On-campus lodging,  Hackerman-Patz House, becomes latest patient- and family-centered care resource.
    • 2013 – Annapolis and AAMC host international conference for the Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care.